|CALGARY . EDMONTON ..VANCOUVER.. IAF NORTHWEST|
|WELCOME TO THE CALGARY METRO-ALLIANCE|
Subscribe to Mailing List
Calgary Interfaith Council
Donate to MACG
The next critical step in our work together as an alliance is to hold a discernment assembly. At this assembly we will gather current members and those who want to become members of MACG. We will hear about the different areas we can focus our work on. Then we will vote on what we are willing to put our time and resources into, thereby deciding which issues we will then focus our work on. For what issues would you like to leverage our shared strength so that we can have a real impact? What issues would you like to work on as we learn how to be effective at engaging public issues? We ask that each member organization send at least one delegate.
Time and Location: It will either be on Tuesday October 11, 7 pm or Thursday October 13, 7 pm. Please save these times and check back the end of September for the actual date and location.If you have any questions please contact:
Ryan Andersen, Lead Organizer
Metro Alliance for the Common Good
403-993-7123 or email@example.com
BACKGROUND and PURPOSE
The Metro Alliance For the Common Good - Calgary (MACG - Calgary) brings together organizations and communities of Calgary to transform our city into a community which acts justly and respects all. MACG is directed by a team of leaders from participating institutions.
MACG was formed in association with the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) the oldest and largest network of broad-based organizations in North America. Similar organizations exist in Vancouver and Edmonton (GEA, the Greater Edmonton Alliance). The Industrial Areas Foundation has been sponsoring these organizations throughout North America for many years, and has had a good deal of success. MACG - Calgary was originally organized mainly by religious groups and unions, with the unions, some churches, and Temple B’nai Tikvah putting up some money for start-up.
MACG - Calgary is now in a phase of expanding our capacity. To this end we have begun to implement a strategy consisting of these elements.
1. We are contracting with the Industrial Areas Foundation to provide support and guidance as we redevelop MACG
2. We have formed a partnership with the Greater Edmonton Alliance which will allow us to share an organizer and have the capacity to work with the provincial government on key issues
3. We have hired our first organizer.
4. We have begun the work of growing both the number and commitment of our membership.
5. We are continuing to provide regular leadership development workshops for our leadership and members. These workshops teach leaders the skills of community organizing and ways of using these skills to develop their own organizations.
6. We will begin to develop local community based action teams which can address local community issues and advocate with local MLA’s and city councilors
7. In the fall of 2015 we plan to launch a listening campaign through which we will identify key issues affecting our members and our city that we can make a significant impact on.
8. We will hold a founding assembly that will publically launch MACG as an important public voice representing a diverse and significant membership.
9. We will then act on the issues identified in our listening campaign in a way that can make a significant difference.
BECOMING A MEMBER OF MACG
MACG depends on the commitment of its members in order to develop our shared capacity to make a positive difference in our city and province. This involves a commitment of people and money. Generally faith communities and non-profit members contribute 1-2% of their budget while unions contribute $3-5 per member. We also ask that your organization provide a leader who can act as a part of MACG’s leadership team. If this is more than your organization can afford, alternative arrangements can be negotiated.
MACG is directed by a team of leaders from participating institutions. It is affiliated with the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF), the oldest and largest network of broad-based organizations in North America. Along with the MACG - Calgary, the Greater Edmonton Alliance and the Metro Vancouver Alliance are all members of the Industrial Areas Foundation Canada.
ORGANIZATION BUILDING PROCESS ...... Read more
INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER ALLIANCES FOR THE COMMON GOOD......... Read More
You can now donate money to support the educational work of MACG through the Industrial Areas Foundation Canada. This can be done through Canada Helps by clinking on the link below and selecting the MACG Calgary fund
|A Season of New Life|
Calgary Interfaith Council
Partnership with Vibrant Communities of Calgary
We have finalized a Memorandum of Understanding with Vibrant Communities Calgary. This partnership will work together to educate and engage the Calgary community to address the root causes of poverty in Calgary. The partnership is already supporting our work with the faith communities and in our work to create a shared conversation in Calgary about our common good.
TO BECOME INVOLVED IN MACG CONTACT:
Ryan Andersen - firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 403-993-7123
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAILING LIST AND NEWSLETTER: We do not share our list and use it only for sending out periodic emails regarding events and trainings.