|CALGARY . EDMONTON ..VANCOUVER.. IAF NORTHWEST|
|WELCOME TO THE CALGARY METRO-ALLIANCE|
Subscribe to Mailing List
Calgary Interfaith Council
Donate to MACG
|MACG was formed by community leaders who had a vision of what was possible.
They had all served faithfully, trying to address the issues their communities
were facing. This experience had taught them that immediate relief was
important, but to create communities that thrive, requires that we address
the underlying causes of poverty and injustice. What was needed was a new
approach --One that could gather together the diversity of our city and
develop community leaders into public leaders who could unite to take public
action that could not be achieved on their own.
That vision is now growing into reality. In the past year we have witnessed communities from across Calgary gather together as a part of MACG. Leaders have risen from their communities and are taking a public role to unite our diversity in shared action. Together we listened to our communities and now young and old are working together to support our seniors. Indigenous and non-indigenous leaders have come together to discover how reconciliation can become a reality in our city.
This work needs your support to continue to grow and develop. Please consider becoming involved in one of MACG's Issues Teams.
Visit our news page to learn about the decisions made at our recent discernment assembly.
Consider MACG when you are making your Christmas donations.
MACG BACKGROUND and PURPOSE
The Metro Alliance For the Common Good - Calgary (MACG - Calgary) brings together organizations and communities of Calgary to transform our city into a community which acts justly and respects all. MACG is directed by a team of leaders from participating institutions.
MACG was formed in association with the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) the oldest and largest network of broad-based organizations in North America. Similar organizations exist in Vancouver and Edmonton (GEA, the Greater Edmonton Alliance). The Industrial Areas Foundation has been sponsoring these organizations throughout North America for many years, and has had a good deal of success. MACG - Calgary was originally organized mainly by religious groups and unions, with the unions, some churches, and Temple B’nai Tikvah putting up some money for start-up.
MACG - Calgary is now in a phase of expanding our capacity. To this end we have begun to implement a strategy consisting of these elements.
1. We are contracting with the Industrial Areas Foundation to provide support and guidance as we redevelop MACG
2. We have formed a partnership with the Greater Edmonton Alliance which will allow us to share an organizer and have the capacity to work with the provincial government on key issues
3. We have hired our first organizer.
4. We have begun the work of growing both the number and commitment of our membership.
5. We are continuing to provide regular leadership development workshops for our leadership and members. These workshops teach leaders the skills of community organizing and ways of using these skills to develop their own organizations.
6. We will begin to develop local community based action teams which can address local community issues and advocate with local MLA’s and city councilors
7. In the fall of 2015 we plan to launch a listening campaign through which we will identify key issues affecting our members and our city that we can make a significant impact on.
8. We will hold a founding assembly that will publically launch MACG as an important public voice representing a diverse and significant membership.
9. We will then act on the issues identified in our listening campaign in a way that can make a significant difference.
BECOMING A MEMBER OF MACG
MACG depends on the commitment of its members in order to develop our shared capacity to make a positive difference in our city and province. This involves a commitment of people and money. Generally faith communities and non-profit members contribute 1-2% of their budget while unions contribute $3-5 per member. We also ask that your organization provide a leader who can act as a part of MACG’s leadership team. If this is more than your organization can afford, alternative arrangements can be negotiated.
MACG is directed by a team of leaders from participating institutions. It is affiliated with the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF), the oldest and largest network of broad-based organizations in North America. Along with the MACG - Calgary, the Greater Edmonton Alliance and the Metro Vancouver Alliance are all members of the Industrial Areas Foundation Canada.
ORGANIZATION BUILDING PROCESS ...... Read more
INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER ALLIANCES FOR THE COMMON GOOD......... Read More
You can now donate money to support the educational work of MACG through the Industrial Areas Foundation Canada. This can be done through Canada Helps by clinking on the link below and selecting the MACG Calgary fund
TO BECOME INVOLVED IN MACG CONTACT:
Ryan Andersen - firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 403-993-7123
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAILING LIST AND NEWSLETTER: We do not share our list and use it only for sending out periodic emails regarding events and trainings.